Bundarra’s main street is full of old buildings of historical significance. Most of the buildings were constructed between 1860 and 1880. The Bundarra Bridge is also of historical value due to its style of construction follow the link to more information about the bridge
Bundarra’s Early History
The establishment of the village of Bundarra started with a hotel and a store, as a result of the ever increasing traffic passing through the areafrom the ranges to the west.
Edward G Clerk founded Bundarra Station in 1836., he later built a homestead which he called "Clerkness". The station in time came to be known as"Clerkness" and the town Bundarra. Clerk hired men to run the hotel and thestore. The store was under the direction of Mrs Clerk. The Clerk's also helped establish the fist church, built of slab in 1857, supplying furniture, altar cloth,surplice and cassock. Also provided board for the clergyman till a vicarage was built.
During the 1850's a survey was taken of the Bundarra township, on the oppositeside of the river to "Clerkness". The school was established in 1869., becoming a Central School in 1955. The Roman Catholic Convent was opened in 1908. Bundarra had at one time it's own newspaper. The Bundarra Advocate (fragile copies are able to be viewed at the museum by appointment. The first race-course was where the main part of town stands . In the late 1800's a jockeyclub was formed , eventually getting a grant to secure the present course
There was once a Bundarra Hunt Club where locals chased introduced species such as foxes etc.
Bundarra Bridge was opened on the 14 October 1881, on 27 October 1879, byMrs E G Clerk. Tenders were called for the erection of the bridge, the foundation stone was laid by Mrs Emily Cooper and the bridge construction commenced.
At one time Bundarra boasted three large stores, three hotels. one wine shop.two barber shops, two bakers, three butchers, two restaurants, one bank, from three to six wool and skin buyers, two blacksmiths and two police officers.
Copper and Gold was also mined in the area.
From the "Pastoral Possessions of NSW' 1889 by W Hanson;
Clerkness Pastoral Holding No 490, Leasehold 14,890 acres Resumed 16,841 acres
Beverley Pastoral Holding, No 245. Leasehold 20,658 acresResumed 29,466 acres
.Also included are pictures of the town and events from days gone by
To read more about each picture click on the thumbnails